In Canada, we are the only place to help you search for a lost deceased's insurance policy.
(If you want to find out which insurance company currently holds your old policy, click here.)
Before we can search for a font:
- You have to look for the police on your own
- If you can't find her, you must have proof that the police exist
- There must be less than two years and more than three months since the person's death
- OLHI must find it reasonable for us to investigate
How to search for a policy or proof that it exists:
- Take a tour of the possible storage places such as safes or filing cabinets
- Review all of the deceased's documents, looking for policies, statements or notices from an insurance company
- Check bank statements for any proof of premium payments
- Contact the deceased's insurance agent (if known) and other advisers, such as lawyers and accountants. Sometimes fonts are kept in their files
- Contact the deceased's employer, or their former employer if the deceased was retired. The human resources department will have information on the group insurance plan for current or retired employees
- If the deceased was receiving group disability benefits, check to see if there was group plan life insurance included in the disability benefits
- Contact all associations to which the deceased was affiliated. Many offer their members life insurance. For example, lawyers, accountants, construction workers, teachers, government employees or engineers are members of associations
- Check with credit card companies to see if the deceased had purchased life or travel insurance issued with the card
- If the deceased died while traveling, check to see if special travel insurance was purchased. Sometimes travel insurance provides compensation in the event of death
How OLHI research works:
- We send a search request to all insurance companies that are members of OLHI. Although 99% of all life and health insurance companies are members, any policy written with a non-member will not be retrieved in our research. On the other hand, a policy taken out outside Canada will not be found since our member companies are only Canadian.
- Insurance companies will only contact you if a policy is found. Companies can only disclose information to the executor, lawyer, beneficiary or heir of the deceased
- Group policies may not be found using a search. We encourage you to contact the former employers of the deceased or association
Request a police search for a deceased person
Please answer the questions and complete the form below.